Class of 1994
My 10 year high school reunion was last Saturday, the 4th. No, I did not go but I think I would have if I hadn't received the Evite 4 days before it happened and if it wasn't at the Ramada Inn, and if there were more appealing people going. I received phone calls from a variety of friends inquiring if I'd be flying in. One lovely friend being Catherine.
"Are you going?"
"No."
"Why not?"
"Well, first, it's being held at the Ramada Inn [And if it's the Ramada Inn I think it is, no thanks]. Second, it shouldn't cost us $60.00 a head to be there, especially it being at THAT Ramada Inn. Third, it's gonna cost me a fortune to get a plane ticket this short of a notice, to then have to pay $60 dollars more to be at THAT Ramada Inn. Do you want me to continue?"
"Yeah, I don't wanna go either."
Catherine and I looked over the list of "Yes" replies...
"Hmmm. Not a lot of people going for a graduation class of 400 some people."
"OH, YA THINK?" [Only 69 said yes]
"Oh look, Hector's going."
Hector. A very nice young man. A little weird, but friendly. Had one of those crooked stares. Like, he'd be looking directly at you when he talked but his right eye would veer off to the right. I would often fight the urge to snap my fingers in his face and say, "Hector, I'm over here." He often had major crushes on girls, one being Ami, a very pretty Indian girl. His crush for her became so obvious, so...illegal, he was aptly named, "Hector, Hector, the Ami detector."
"Oh look, Janet's going."
"Janet? The white girl who only dated black guys?"
Janet, well, she was the white girl who only dated black guys.
"Terence is going."
Terence, nickname, "Turtle." I don't recall why, and I don't think I wanna remember why.
"Oh look, Pube hair Gina is going."
This is just an excerpt from one of my many convo's with Catherine, but I won't bore you with more.
I have yet to hear how it went. I'm sure it involved a lot of bodies dropping to the floor after just hearing a muffler backfire. If you don't get that reference, my high school was notorious for gang violence. So I guess one of the reasons I chose not to go would be a bullet proof vest is too expensive and it wouldn't look good with my outfit.



<< Home