Sunday, December 26, 2004

My Christmas

So this Christmas was different for me. The eve was spent alone, I went to pick up the dessert for Christmas at my favorite bakery, then I was off to the malls. I have no idea why I did that (go to the mall on Christmas Eve), as it was packed up the wazoo. Luckily I was able to snag a parking spot right infront of one of the entrances to the mall. I think one of the reasons why I stopped by was to check out the puppies at the pet store (I would never buy a dog through a pet store) that I never knew existed at this mall (and I've lived in this town for 2 1/2 years now). I heard about it because a friend pointed a story out in the Herald about customers complaining about poor conditions in this particular pet store. Anyhow, I went, asked to play with a number of puppies, wished in my heart that I could set them free, then went home to mope.

When I say this Christmas was different for me, it is because I am now a single person. The past few Christmas' I've spent with my ex bf's family, I wanted to be home with mine this year but work got in the way so I spent it with very good friends.

I arrived at 4:30, with dessert...


They laughed at me holding the cake, my camera, and tripod, we hugged, and began devouring shrimp cocktails, and drank wine. It's funny when you're with Irish people, your glass is never empty and, you're always laughing. We talked a lot, spent a lot of time in the kitchen trading cheap shots and jokes, at times I took a break near the fire to have alone time, and to give my stomach muscles a break from laughing too hard.



Here are pictures of me and my favorite cats in the whole wide world, minus Sir Hal, Aislinn Lord of the Dance Jimenez McGrath Baglas, and Pandora [who seems nicer now that she has Aislinn Lord of the Dance Jimenez McGrath Baglas].

Me and SPort.




SPort.


Rayford is camera shy.




Christmas dinner consisted of rack of lamb, parsnips and carrots, grilled onions and mushrooms, mashed potatos, Irish bread, and biscuits. For dessert, Port, tiramasu cake, fudge, and ice cream.

I was invited to sleep over but refrained...I'm kinda glad that I did cause early this morning it was SNOWING, and it still is. I can see cars outside stuck, trying to drive up the hill. I think I might not have to work tomorrow!

*****
One of my favorite childhood memories*

We were living on the Island of Oahu, HI, just moved from the Island of Kauai. It was December, the weather was cool...me, my older sister and brother were outside on the back patio when the doorbell rang...Both my parents were at work and we were told not to answer the door when they weren't home.

My brother looked through the peep hole in the door.

"Hey! there are three kids holding a gingerbread house!"

My sister pushed him outta the way, and looked through the hole.

"What are they doing?" She says.

I was too short to reach the peep hole so I pushed her aside and hurriedly opened the door. I wanted to see what was goin' on!

"Mele Kalikimaka!" The three of 'em say. Then they bust out singing.

"Mele kalikimaka is the thing to say on a bright Hawaiian Christmas day
That’s the island greeting that we send to you
From the land where palm trees sway
Here we know that Christmas will be green and bright
The sun will shine by day and all the stars at night
Mele kalikimaka is Hawaii’s way to say merry christmas to you."

Now, that's just only a few of the lyrics. They sang the whole song. At the end I'm standing there smiling, that had never happened to us before. My sister didn't wanna take the gingerbread house because we weren't allowed to take things from strangers. Of course they insisted that we take the gingerbread house, "we made it for you guys, our mom told us you guys just moved here, please take it!" We looked across the street and sure enough a pretty hawaiian woman was waving...later we found out she was one of the teachers at our new school. We took the gingerbread house, thanked them, and placed it on the kitchen counter, staring at it.

"Are we allowed to eat it?" I had never seen a gingerbread house before. There was candy all over it and it smelled so pretty. Later on, we got into trouble by my dad for opening the door to strangers.






Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.