Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Welcome to the world, Reilly...

Marianne is doing well, in fact, she called me early when she was in her hospital bed with an IV in her to induce labor. I was at the prison facility when I heard my cell phone ring, which is really weird as I don't get reception there.

"Where are you calling me from?"

"I'm in my hospital bed with an IV stuck in me."

"Oh my gawd, are you scared?"

"Yes."

"OOooooOooooh, Mare's about to have a baby! I wanna know ALL about the pain."

I regretted saying pain soon after I said it. She was scared shitless.

"Well, I'm glad you called, I can't believe you did, you didn't have to. Everything will be fine! And Mare, don't call me when you're actually in labor, mid push, alright?"

She starts to laugh.

Later in the afternoon, I received a call that woke me up from my nap. I missed it, and received this voice mail.

"Hey bitch, it's Mare, I just had him at 5:46 PM."


I immediately called her back. I wanted to cry, I could hear little Reilly crying in the background. He is 8lbs 10oz. 20 inches long, and beautiful. I can't believe she is now a mother.

Time sure does fly. I've been friends with Mare for a very, very long time. Early in our friendship I had come to the conclusion that Mare would probably never settle down. I was wrong. She met a guy, fell in love, got married, and now has a son. It seems like yesterday we were out on Cape Cod, sitting on the beach. Mare took me on my first whale watch which is one of the things that made me fall in love with this place. The day we went, about twenty whales came out, including a baby. She was the one who taught me what a camel toe is. I never knew what a camel toe was. We were in the Museum of Science having lunch and she says, "Oh my gawd. That guy has the worst camel toe."

"What the hell is a camel toe?"

She explains, I look over at the man who has a camel toe and I burst out laughing and couldn't stop. She got a kick outta that. Anyway, I'm getting off track. Let's get back to the fact that Mare gave birth, shall we?!?

"How did it feel?"

"Ooooooh my gawd. I can't even begin to tell you."

"Okay, maybe you should tell me when you're outta the hospital."

Congratulations to Mare and Mark, and welcome Reilly!



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.